Truck Accident Injuries
Victims of truck accidents often suffer catastrophic injuries much worse than injuries that occur in passenger vehicles. This is due to the massive size of these vehicles and the impact force when they slam into a car.
An experienced legal team will have successfully represented many truck accident victims in obtaining the financial compensation they deserve for the devastating changes these injuries make in their lives. Some of the most common are detailed below. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, call our office today to find out how one of our truck accident attorneys can get you the financial justice you deserve.
Brain injuries can happen if the victim suffers a sharp or sudden blow to the head that causes damage to the brain. There are two different types of brain injuries that can happen in a truck accident. A closed head injury occurs when the head hits another object or there is some kind of blow to the head. An open head injury occurs when an object penetrates through the skull and penetrates the brain.
A brain injury can result in a permanent impact on the victim’s life, depending on the severity of the injury:
· Mild brain injury: Confusion, disorientation, or loss of consciousness for 30 minutes or less. Usually results in a concussion.
· Moderate brain injury: Confusion, disorientation, or loss of consciousness that can last 20 minutes to six hours.
· Severe brain injury: Confusion, disorientation, or loss of consciousness that lasts for more than six hours. Usually results in permanent disability.
A person who sustains a brain injury can struggle with many different issues. They can have issues with:
· Blurry vision
· Concentration or paying attention
· Forming coherent sentences
· Judging distances
· Memory recall
· Processing information
· Speaking clearly
· Standing on his or her own
· Tolerating light
Crush injuries occur from the pressure the collision causes on the victim’s body. Crush injuries can result in:
· Brain damage
· Brain cell loss
· Compressed nerves
· Fractured bones
The impact of a commercial truck slamming into a vehicle can cause internal injuries in a victim, damaging their internal organs:
Symptoms of internal injuries can be delayed, and the victim may not even realize they have been injured. But internal organ injuries can cause death if there is a delay in treatment.
Spinal Cord Injury
The spinal cord is made up of thousands of nerves that carry messages back and forth from the brain and other parts of the body. As the attorneys at Cohen & Cohen can attest, many truck accident victims suffer injuries to the spinal cord that result in permanent injuries:
· Paraplegia: Loss of sensation and movement in the lower half of the body
· Triplegia: Loss of sensation and movement in one arm and both legs
· Quadriplegia: Loss of sensation and movement in both arms and legs
If you’ve been the victim of a truck accident, reach out to a reputable personal injury lawyer right away.